Thursday, June 19

Song of the Day

Perfect song for a sunny summer day. (Ok, I'm in New York not California, but it still works)

Marlena Shaw - California Soul (Diplo/Mad Decent Remix)
from Verve Remixed 4

Oliver Wright of Soul Sides sums up this one perfectly:

Just when you thought Dockers may have ruined this song permanently, trust the folks at Verve and Diplo to pull it back. I admit - I was a little skeptical at first at the idea; Shaw's song is so much a classic that it's hard to imagine what one could do with it but I gotta credit Diplo here - instead of piling on, he pulls back, keeping the audience anticipating - but never quite delivering - the crashboombam they expect, at least until the very end where he brings back those gorgeous strings again. I don't care if you're not from Cali - feel this vibe.


Also, check out the Marvin Gaye / Tammi Terrell version of this song (which is good but lacks that great string section):

No comments: